Are you looking for an exciting camping experience that doesn’t require a ton of space or money? An SUV camper might be the perfect fit for you!
Explore a world of SUV camper ideas, offering an affordable, efficient, and cozy approach to group camping. These campers, akin to conventional RVs but more compact and budget-friendly, provide the perfect solution for budget-conscious travelers and adventurous groups aiming for unforgettable experiences in the great outdoors.
In this guide, we’ll explore the benefits of an SUV camper and discuss the different options available for conversion, as well as how to create an affordable and comfortable sleeping area in an SUV. Read on to learn more about how to turn your vehicle into an adventure-ready camper.
Benefits of an SUV Camper
When it comes to camping, an SUV camper is a great option for those who want a convenient and comfortable camping experience. Below are a few benefits it comes with:
1. SUVs provide more space and better comfort than other types of RVs and campers, such as van conversions, truck campers, and travel trailers.
2. One of the biggest advantages of an SUV camper is its portability. With an SUV, you can go anywhere and enjoy the road trip experience.
3. An SUV camper also offers more storage space than other types of campers, providing storage for gear, food, and other essentials. This allows you to have all the essentials of home with you on your trip.
4. Another advantage of an SUV camper is its capability to handle any type of terrain. SUVs are built to handle rugged terrain and can get you out of sticky situations. The additional ground clearance and off-road capabilities of an SUV help to reduce the risk of getting stuck or damaged as you traverse rough roads.
5. The fuel efficiency of an SUV camper is another benefit when compared to other types of RVs and campers. SUVs are generally lighter and more aerodynamic than their larger counterparts.
This means that they require less fuel to travel the same distances, which can help save you money in the long run.
6. Finally, SUV campers offer more versatility when it comes to sleeping arrangements. With an SUV camper, you can sleep in a variety of positions, depending on how you configure the interior. This makes it easy to tailor the sleeping arrangement to your preferences.
SUV Conversion Kits
There are many different types of SUV conversion kits on the market, all designed to provide the convenience of a camper without sacrificing the versatility of an SUV.
Depending on your budget and needs, you can choose from a range of kits that include everything from basic camping supplies to full-fledged kitchenettes and sleeping areas.
One of the most popular SUV conversion kits is the FlatBox, which is designed to turn any car into a campervan. The FlatBox includes a fold-out bed, kitchenette, storage units, and other amenities that make it perfect for camping and road trips. It is a bit on the pricey side at $3990, but it offers the ultimate in convenience and comfort.
If you’re looking for something more affordable, there are also kits available that allow you to customize the interior of your SUV according to your needs and preferences. These kits include everything from bedding and storage containers to insulation and roof racks.
No matter what type of SUV conversion kit you choose, it is important to consider factors such as design, space, and cost when comparing different products. With careful planning and research, you can find the perfect kit to turn your SUV into the camper of your dreams.
DIY SUV Camper Ideas
When it comes to converting an SUV into a camper, there is no shortage of creative ideas. Here are some useful and cost-effective ideas for transforming your SUV into a comfortable camper:
1. Removing the Middle Seats: Taking out the middle seat can be a great way to create more room inside the vehicle and give you more space for sleeping and storage.
2. Building a Sleeping Platform: Building a bed platform is a great alternative to buying an expensive mattress. You can find plans online for DIY beds. Make sure to take accurate measurements of your cargo area and design the platform accordingly.
3. Installing a Roof Rack: If you are looking for extra storage space, a roof rack can be a great solution. You can use it to store gear, supplies, and camping accessories such as chairs and coolers.
4. Adding a Fridge: Installing a fridge can help you keep food and drinks cold while camping. It is important to choose the right size and type of fridge, depending on your vehicle’s dimensions and power source.
5. Installing an Awning: An awning can provide shade and coverage from light rain or snow. You can purchase portable awnings or build your own with tarp and poles.
6. Adding Fans/Lights: To keep the air circulating and the temperature comfortable, adding a fan or lights is a great idea. There are lots of options to choose from, including DC-powered fans and LED lights.
These are just some ideas for transforming your SUV into a camper. With some creativity and resourcefulness, you can create your own unique camper from the comfort of your own home.
An Overview of SUV Tents
Rooftop or SUV tents are a convenient, easy way to go camping with an SUV. They offer the same comfort and convenience as regular tents, but in a smaller package that’s easier to transport.
Plus, they can be set up quickly and simply on the roof of an SUV, allowing you to spend more time relaxing and enjoying the outdoors.
There are several types of rooftop tents available. From pop-up tents to hardshell models, there’s something for every need and budget.
Pop-up tents are lightweight and easy to install, while hardshell models provide more protection from the elements and are often more spacious.
When choosing a tent, consider the size and weight of your vehicle, both when packed and when empty. Also, be sure to look at the materials used in the construction of the tent. Quality materials will make for a much more comfortable and durable tent that will last for years.
Additional features to consider include:
- storage capacity
- ease of setup
Finally, consider the cost of the tent and make sure it meets your budget.
Rooftop or SUV tents are a great way to stay comfortable without sacrificing space or mobility when camping with an SUV. With so many options available, you’re sure to find the perfect tent for your next adventure.
Features to Look Out For in Your Ideal SUV Camper
When it comes to an SUV camper, there are a lot of features to consider; however, some features make an SUV camper essential for an individual’s needs and preferences.
Firstly, an SUV camper should be comfortable; from having a cushioned bed and bedding, to lighting, and protection from bad weather. This comfort is key for a peaceful night’s sleep.
Secondly, an SUV camper should also be convenient, easy to park, drive, and store. This makes it significantly easier to travel from place to place, and with so many used SUVs on the market, there are also more affordable options available.
Thirdly, an SUV camper should provide more interior space than sedan campers, while providing greater stealth and fuel efficiency than most camper vans. This makes it an ideal choice for those who need the extra room but don’t want the extra weight.
Lastly, an SUV camper should have enough features to accommodate the individual’s needs. These features can range from a simple mattress in the back, to a full kitchen and shower area. This customization allows the owner to customize their ride according to their specific needs and preferences.
Bedding Options For Your SUV Camper
Installing a bed in an SUV camper is an easy and cost-effective way to turn your vehicle into a camping space with all the necessary amenities. Here are a few DIY options for how to install a bed in an SUV camper:
Building a Bed Platform
Building a bed platform out of plywood and 2x4s is a great way to ensure your bed has the necessary support and stability. To create the bed platform, you’ll need to measure the length and width of the cargo area in your SUV and design the platform accordingly.
Make sure it is sturdy enough to bear the weight of the people and gear stored underneath. Additionally, you’ll want to consider the height of the platform so that there is enough headroom for occupants to sit up comfortably.
Using Storage Containers or Drawers
Using storage containers or drawers as a base for your bed is another great option if you’re looking for something that stores away easily when not in use.
Choose storage containers or drawers that are sturdy and well-constructed, and remember to consider ventilation and insulation when deciding which ones to use.
Using Inflatable Mattresses or Camping Cots
Alternatively, you can opt for an inflatable mattress or camping cot, which provides a comfortable sleeping surface and fold up easily when not in use. Be sure to secure it in place to prevent it from moving or sliding around.
Using Foam Padding and Sleeping Bags
If you’re really up for a challenge, you can try using foam padding and sleeping bags to make a comfortable bed. Place the foam padding on the floor to protect the car from being scratched and place a sleeping bag on top for extra comfort.
An SUV camper is a great way to go camping with the convenience of everything you need in one vehicle. SUVs provide more interior space than sedan campers, as well as greater stealth and fuel efficiency than most camper vans.
There are several ways to convert an SUV into a camper, including DIY conversions, SUV conversion kits, and rooftop or SUV tents. Each of these options has its own advantages and disadvantages, so it is important to consider your needs and preferences before making any decisions.
To get some ideas for your SUV camper conversion, many people find inspiration from online resources, such as YouTube tutorials, blogs, and forums.